Thursday, May 8, 2008

5-08-2008

This past Saturday was a lot of fun. Jerilyn & I went, along with our friend Louise, to a community yard sale. We probably went to 15 locations and perused their goods. I bought a laser printer, exactly like the one I have, except newer. It is setting in the old one’s place right now. I paid $400 for the old one and $20 for the one that took it’s place. All three of us had a good time and Louise and I bought a lot more than Jerilyn. She (Jerilyn) analyse’s things before she buys, whereas, Louise and I threw caution to the wind and just bought. I probably spent $30. It is hard to have that much fun on $30. I’ll bet it will be a long time before Jerilyn invites me on another “yard sale” adventure.

Recently, I went over to pick up our trailer from Kathy (Jerilyn’s daughter-inlaw) and bring it back home. We had delivered a load of mulch to her and she emptyed the trailer and it was ready for me to pick up. It was a sunny, Sunday afternoon, and Brandon (the youngest granson) was out playing ball with his friend. Chris (who graduates this June) was out in the yard lazily enjoying his day. All of a sudden, I flash back to when I was his age (50 years ago) and I recalled how wonderful those days were. Graduation was only several weeks away and after 12 years of school it was a welcomed change. College was not an option, as was the case for most coal miner children, and a tour in the military was a distinct possibility since I did not want to become a miner. In my opinion, you will never feel better physically than when you are 18. I cannot recall worrying about much and everything that was going to happen in my life was going to be new and exciting (or so I thought). It was clear to me that my parents expected me to become self-sufficient at 18 and that included finding a place to live. They both loved me dearly, but it was time for me to move on and move on I did. Chris’ life is getting ready to change dramatically, leaving his friends and family behind as he strikes out for college, acquiring new friends and new challenges. A great life awaits him and I know he will do well.

I went out Sunday morning and had breakfast with my daughter (Debby) and Mary, at a local restaurant. The food was good and the conversation was excellent. It is so wonderful to break bread with people that mean so much to your life. After breakfast was over, we sat and talked awhile, then got into our cars and went our separate ways, me with a warm, comfortable feeling deep inside. It doesn’t get much better than that. It seems the longer someone has been a part of your life the more you love them. Well, these two have been a part of my life for a long time. Enough said.

At the yard sale last Saturday, I picked up a book on our presidents (thru Dubya). I am currently on our 12th president (Zachary Taylor). Since watching all 7 episodes of John Adams on HBO I have suddenly, become interested in learning about our presidents. Virginia (8) & Ohio (7) are leading with the most. Of our 43 presidents, I have lived under 11 and I remember 10 (starting with Truman). I cannot recall any of them being inspiring and, maybe, that is asking too much from them. Maybe, Obama can be inspiring, I don’t think Hillary or McCain can be. Should the ability to inspire be a prerequisite for the presidency? It would be nice to have such a president, but that may be asking for too much.

Well, our trip to California has been cancelled. Seems, the airline (United) has refused to do what they promised when we were forced to reschedule last October. Rather than pay twice for our tickets we have decided to work California into our schedule when we visit Hawaii in July. A little history on California, courtesy of my book on presidents: President Polk attempted to buy this state from Mexico in 1847 but they were unwilling to sell. Polk knew the Mexican government was weak and could not hope to win a war. Even so, the war turned out to be longer and bloodier than expected. Mexico was forced to surrender and the peace treaty with them forced an agreement (1848) for them to sell what is now all of California, Nevada and part of Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. I guess when we, as a nation, want something we take it. Anyway, with the cancellation of our trip to CA we are now considering a trip to TN to visit my family there. With all the travel planned I was wondering how I was going to work in a visit with my grandchildren (and great grandchildren). Now, I have a perfect opportunity to do so and do not have to wait until fall arrives. How wonderful it is to look into their face and see a reflection of those I love so dearly.

I have been working on a bench down next to the waterfront for Jerilyn. She has cut out a space in our backyard for a flower garden that will include the bench, some rocks and some flowers. I have almost finished the bench part and when the garden is complete I will include a pic of it in a future edition of this missive.

No comments: