Friday, September 21, 2007

08-28-2007

Well, it’s done! The big boat is gone! My cousin Jesse and his family arrived Friday night to take the boat back to Winston-Salem, NC. We all got up early Saturday morning, went out to Hampton and ate breakfast with my uncle and his wife, then came home and prepared the boat and trailer for the trip to NC. We replaced the tires on the trailer because they suffered from “dry rot” due to long exposure to the sun. They departed around noon and about 45 minutes later I received a call from Jesse, telling me that one of the tires had failed. I loaded my hydraulic jack and jack stand in the back of the car and headed off to assist them. Three hours later they were on their way home and arrived safely in about 5 hours. The temp was around 99° and the head index was around 110-115°. For a while there, I was beginning to think we were in Bagdad, of course, minus the sand, the shooting and the roadside bombs. I’m sure the boat will enjoy it’s new home and all the love and attention it will get.

Monday (8/27) was Gladys’ (Jerilyn’s mother) 89th birthday. I picked her up at 1:30pm and she spent several hours with us going thru the gifts that her children bought and all the cards she received from family & friends congratulating her on achieving the wonderful age of 89. Not many people live that long. I hope she knows how blessed she has been. She is not as spry as she was a couple of years ago, but, she still does ok. She is still in the “Independent Section” of her retirement community. I am guessing that she will be in the “Assisted Living” section within a couple of years. She still struggles from losing “Pop” in 2001. It is easily understood that 65 years of marriage would create a large void when your life’s mate leaves you and transitions to the other side.

Jerilyn’s oldest grandson (Christopher) stayed with us Friday & Saturday night. He is 17 and his life is just starting to unfold. It is refreshing to spend time with someone that young. He seems to be so well grounded. He works as a lifeguard at Water Country USA (Bush Gardens) and, I would assume, that is a great job for a 17 year old to have. His plans are to attend Virginia Tech next year. Since parents always get the blame when their kids screw up, they should also get the credit when their kids turnout well. Congratulations, Dean & Kathy!

I was watching a movie the other night and the lead character made a statement that caught my attention. “Family”, says he, “is a group of people that share the same memories.” He was referring to, of course, his immediate family. I think that could be expanded to include childhood friends, high school & college friends, and much more. We have, I believe, many types of families; some closer than others, but none the less, family. This diverse mixture of many families in our life is what creates the texture of our existence. If we are missing this complex mixture of “shared memories’, our life lacks the punch that makes each day exciting. If we experience nothing worth remembering, then necessarily, our lives are boring and unexciting. All of you that received this weekly missive have added value and content to my life; as such, you all are part of “My Family”. I am so blessed!

Jerilyn’s son Dean and his family went to the Little League World Series this past weekend and had a wonderful time. Her daughter-in-law, Rachel, is traveling across Europe with a friend and having an equally good time. Life is good!

We will be leaving to visit my son and his family in Tennessee on Thursday. It has been a year since our last visit and I am very excited about seeing them again. In the paragraph above I talked about family, well folks, this is serious family. The memories I share with these people go back to their first day on earth. How can a visit be more enjoyable than spending time with someone so close to you.

No comments: