Friday, September 21, 2007

09-19-2007

Things in my personal life have really started to change. My son Rusty, who resides in western Tennessee, called today to tell me that he has accepted a job working for a company that is about 20 minutes from our house. He left this area in 1992 and, needless to say, it is a joy to welcome him back. My daughter Debby has always been within a 15-20 minute drive, so having them both so close contributes a lot of joy to my life. I’m sure he will find that I have changed a lot in the 15 years since he left. I hope the changes he sees are all good ones. I was 51 when he left. I’m 66 now. I’m sure he will notice a difference in me. Welcome home Son!

Old cars were the subject a good friend and I had recently. We were discussing the different kinds of cars in our neighborhood when we were kids. There was the Packard, Kaiser, Frasier, Willy’s, Hudson, etc. I have owned 12 automobiles in my life. Throw out the first 18 years of my existence (not many kids had cars back then) and I have purchased a vehicle every 4 years. That tidbit of information astonished me! I guess, if you factor into the equation that most of the time I owned two cars simultaneously, then I purchased a vehicle every 8 years. Now, that makes me feel so much better. I often wonder why I can remember every vehicle I have owned, but have trouble remembering the year that important events occurred. I was out working in the yard the other evening and the street lights came on. All of a sudden, I remembered that when I was a boy, we didn’t have street lights. When it got dark, it was dark. I honestly believe that if I could flush out all the useless information I have stored in my brain I could get on to some serious thinking. Ah, but the joy of instant recall!

We have a flag holder down at our pier and we attempt to keep one mounted that pertains to the season we are anticipating. Our current flag says “Welcome Autumn”. It seems, our hot weather is over and our temps are now in the 60’s and 70’s, with next week in the low 80’s. Our summer was hot and dry. Our grass wilted and died under the blistering sun. Jerilyn and I have spent the last few days, thatching, aerating, fertilizing and seeding our yard, getting it ready for next spring. The thatching part is accomplished by using a special “thatching” rake. After the first day of raking I awoke the next morning with soreness all thru my body. I had used muscles that had been dormant for so long they wanted to punish me. The next day I went thru the same routine and the soreness is not so bad now. As I rake and work the yard I listen to my audio books. Currently, I am listening to Adriana Trigiani’s “Home to Big Stone Gap”. Big Stone Gap is not very far from where I was raised. A lot of the places in her book I have visited. It is so nice to hear a tale wrapped around places you have been. She talks about the food hillbillies eat, such as “soup beans”, and gives the recipe for each. I’ll tell you, the Net Library I told you about in a previous WOW has been precious gift to me: no more trips to the library.

Jerilyn and I went to her youngest grandson’s (Brandon) football game the other day. He was not the star of the team, but he was our star. We hooted and yelled whenever he entered the game and applauded loudly when he came out, to let him know we appreciated his efforts. I think participation in a sport is good for all children. The feedback is immediate. If you practice hard and often, you will do well. Results are directly related to effort. Some can excel with very little effort, but 90% of us have to work hard in order to be successful. The sooner we learn that lesson, the better our chance of achieving our dreams. Each week I try to visit my uncle that is fighting cancer. Each time, as I exit I64 to get on the street that leads to his home, I encounter the same person standing at the stop sign holding a banner asking for a handout. This fellow, in my opinion, failed at some point in his life, to realize that begging cannot be a career. When did he conclude that he could exist by writing a few choice words on a piece of cardboard and stand at a stop sign, when the rest of us have to get up and go to work? You would be surprised at how many people call him over and give him money. Put him in a wheelchair and, maybe, I will give him something! Until then, spend the time you waste standing at the stop sign looking for a job. I see “Need Help” signs everywhere. I read once that “bitterness is just years of pent-up anger”. And here I set, thinking I am anger free

No comments: